vendredi 18 février 2011

The Tardis

I just remembered about my grandmother's jewellery box. It is, in fact a tiny little chest of drawers, reputed to be a Georgian apprentice piece. I've just had a very close look at it and everything checks out - should be worth a few grand but needs a little bit of restoration.

The really strange thing is nothing has ever been taken out, but lots has been put in. OH BUGGER HAVE LOST MY LIGHTER AGAIN. Calm down, calm down think lovely thoughts about women in stockings and stroke the big box of matches So where was I? Oh yes we have my gran's cheap tat jewellery, (I mean - clip-on earrings - what kind of fashion statement is that?) my wife's cheap-but-chic stuff, a few old ear studs belonging to her husband, pairs of our old glasses, small change (5 centimes to two quid - put the lot in bin much to wife's horror) and a supermarket receipt or two. Sorting the sheep from the goats - what a strange metaphor - which lot would you throw away - oh yes Handel's Messiah - We like sheep - so then how do you get goats in bin?

Also had to be very careful to save tiny pieces of wood essential to restoration, so whole business took several strangely calming hours. Further clue to it being what I think it is is a pencilled '1790' presumably done by a valuer. Oh jeez, now I'm thinking of secretaries in pencil skirts. CONCENTRATE AND GET APPROX VALUATION ONLINE.
Right, neither Sotheby's or Christie's have ever stooped so low as to sell one of these, and diligent research would seem to indicate it's worth £800. Blessed relief, as I'd much rather keep it than have a proper swimming pool - the huge (and I mean one can actually swim in it but I've never tried as I can't swim and have no desire to)   collapsible one we have is just fine. But I could build a beautiful above-ground jobby for about 1000€ - wondering if possible by May 26. Cake and eat it or what?
Oh - back to the Toulouse trip, you can buy swimming pools.here.

I am going to try and add a picture of the chest with the free piece-of-crap camera I have but don't hold breath. Last time I tried this I got thigh lenght kinky boots BEFORE the fucking French lorry. So I am going to publish and be damned.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire